City of Split is well known in the world not only for the Diocletian’s palace, but for the athletes that were born here. Sports tradition in Split reaches far back to the past.
- First known rowing competition of the Split crew was held agaist the Makarska town crew in 1767. The route was from the Mrduja islet to the Split harbour.
- The first sports association was the shooting club founded in 1877. on the dr. Ante Bjamonti’s initiative, the city chief at the time.
- The first rowing and sailing club Adria was founded in 1890., and the club’s headquarters were established in the Katalinić family house. The Croatian Sokol was founded in the same year.
- 1905. was the year when the first tennis club was founded.
- In the year 1908. the mountaineering and tourism company Mosor was founded with professor Umberto Girometto.
- In 1911. the soccer club Hajduk was founded.
- Organised swimming sports developed much slower, but the unofficial clubs such as Firule, Triton, POSK and others were founded on Split beaches Bagno Polo, Bacvice, and Firule.